The ASHB Studentship is merit based, and is awarded at the discretion of the panel as determined by the ASHB committee. The studentship is intended to fund Honours or Graduate (Masters and PhD) level research in human biology and associated fields.
Conditions of Studentship
- The maximum amount awarded is $2000 per PhD student. Honours and Masters students may be awarded up to $1000.
- The applicant must be an enrolled student at the time of application.
- The applicant must be a current member of ASHB.
- Individuals may only receive one studentship during their graduate research tenure. Should the student graduate from their current degree and engage in further research, they are then eligible to apply for another award.
- All publications, reports, posters and theses arising from research supported by this studentship are expected to acknowledge the support of the ASHB Student Award.
- A brief report regarding the use of the funds will be submitted to the ASHB committee within one year.
- Recipients are required to produce a report summarising the progress of their research to be published on the ASHB website within one year of receiving the funds.
- The awardee is required to present at an ASHB conference or meeting within two years of receiving the funds.
- Being awarded the studentship doesn’t exclude the student from applying for or receiving a ASHB Conference Travel Award.
- This studentship is intended to support research efforts such as field work, equipment purchases, and lab visits. It is not intended to solely fund travel to conferences. Individuals intending to fund conference related travel should refer to the ASHB Conference Travel Award at
Applicants must complete the form, attach the following and submit the application to Hallie.email@example.com by 30/09/2017 to be considered in the current round. Successful applicants will be contacted by 01/11/2017.
1. Project outline (maximum 1500 words) including:
- A summary of the research project
- The relevance of the research to the area of human biology
- The value of the project to the field of Australasian human biology
- What the funds will be used to accomplish. Please consider that the studentship is not intended to fund conference expenses, the funds should be focused on furthering research.
- A detailed budget must be submitted, including quotes (e.g. airfare, accommodation costs, equipment purchases).
- A reference letter from the students’ supervisor confirming above details and eligibility.